ASA Head Coach2013-10-20
ASA Head Coach
The head coach is responsible for promoting growth and participation in the sport of sailing, through the Alberta Sailing Association, following the Sail Canada Long Term Sailor Development model.
- Plan and manage training and development following the LTSD model and promoting the goals above
- Promote and publicize the development plan and the LTSD
- Working with sailing clubs and schools, promote first contact and retention through initial emphasis on young participants
- Coach and train where most effective
- Organize and direct a small team of ASA coaches
- Oversee use, deployment, transportation and maintenance of ASA equipment (ASA coaches transport equipment but not athletes).
- Communicate effectively and maintain good relations with all key parties including athletes, parents, clubs, schools, coaches, ASA board, ASA staff, Sail Canada staff
- Be a role model for other coaches. Adhere to the Sail Canada Coaching Code of Conduct.
- Continue to develop as a professional coach, and encourage professional development in others.
- The head coach may have other duties depending on qualifications and experience.
- Sailing and coaching experience
- Appropriate Sail Canada/NCCP coaching qualifications
- Excellent communication skills
- Organizational skills and experience
- Ability to communicate a plan and a vision while developing consensus
- Ability to travel
- Tact and professional image
This is a full-time position with some flexibility during the off-season.
This position reports to the board of the Alberta Sailing Association, primarily to a designated board contact. Performance standards will be set and reviewed at least annually.
Please submit a cover letter, a resume, and a letter summarizing your vision for Alberta Sailing.
Alberta Sailing Association 2013 AGM2013-10-18
Annual General Meeting
Saturday November 2, 2013, 1:00 pm
Red Deer College
(Lunch and voter registration 12:00 noon)
(Updates and discussions 10:00 am)
Careers at Alberta Sailing2013-08-08
The Alberta Sailing Association (ASA) is seeking one or more individuals to support its mission of supporting and promoting sailing within Alberta and the Northwest Territories.
The ASA solicits applications from experienced people with management, public relations, administrative, technical, financial and coaching skills.
- Reporting: to the ASA board
- Funding: writing grant applications, managing grants, coordinating casinos, collecting membership fees, coordinating revenue-generating activities (clinics, training camps)
- Accounting: budgeting, financial analysis and reporting, asset management, payroll, accounts receivable, accounts payable, bookkeeping, coordinating annual financial review, insurance, taxes
- Human resource management (e. g. coaches, athletes, volunteers)
- Asset management (vehicles, trailers, boats, venues)
- Liaison with other organizations and individuals (includes athletes, parents, clubs, schools, Sail Canada, PSAs, Coaching Association of Canada, Sport Canada, government agencies, coaches, instructors, contractors)
- Communications, customer service, and public relations (personal, telephone, email, website administration, social media)
- Documenting and maintaining policies, proposals, documents and bylaws
- Fulfilling orders for Sail Canada materials.
- Coordinating training camp and regatta schedule
- Some travel may be required
There will be full-time or part-time opportunities for a single person or a small team, depending on how the work is structured and the skill sets of the individuals. Work hours vary throughout the season. There may be an opportunity to work from a home office or remotely. An interim appointment may be made for the duration of the 2013 season.
Peter MacDougal Retires2013-07-29
Peter MacDougal has announced that he will retire September 1, 2013, after seeing the Alberta Sailing Team through Canada Summer Games and the Mobility Cup.
Peter has served as Executive Director and Head Coach for many years, and previously as a board member. During that time he has also been a tireless CYA/Sail Canada volunteer.
Recently, Peter has been vital in helping us to adopt the Sail Canada Long-Term Sailor Development plan. He leaves us in good shape to rebuild the sport of sailing in Alberta, from the youngest participants up.
We thank Peter for his contributions and we wish him all the best in retirement.
Board of Directors, Alberta Sailing Association
Spring training is over, Regatta season is here2013-06-19
June 22 - 23 Icebreaker Regatta at Calgary Yacht Club. This is also the Laser qualifiers for Canada Games Team
June 29 - 30 Waves at Royal Vancouver. For youth sailors it is preparation for Youth Nationals end of August
July 6 - 7 Founders Regatta at Wabamun Sailing Club. Training June 3 - 5 before the event.
July 11 - 14 Sail West and Prairie Winds at Newell sailing Club. Two days of training and two days of racing
July 20 - 21 Mid Summer Regatta at Glenmore Sailing Club
July 27 - 28 Opti Provincial Championships ASA and Glenmore Sailing School.
August 20 - September 1 Black Pearl Regatta, Calgary Yacht Club, see Regattas
More training and competition events can be found on the ASA Events Calendar.
Coach Instructor training registration open2013-04-25
Registration for instructor and coach training and certification courses is now open at http://albertasailing.checklick.com.
Recruiting, Training and Supporting Adaptive Sport in Alberta2013-03-03
Adaptive candidates can try sailing with an ASA provincial coach ride along at a regatta or training camp for $10. We also have opportunities to attend the Mobility Cup (National Recreational Adaptive Championships) and training with our national tean at winter camps.
Contact or 403-617-9092 for more information.
The Training and Racing schedule is set for 20132013-03-03
Training camp through May and June then the provincial regatta circuit in July. The July regattas include two or three days of training before the weekend regatta. Priorities are youth and coach training and where resources can support we hope to offer training to adults as well. August has travelling to Canada Summer Games, Youth Nationals and Mobility Cup.
See the ASA Event Calendar for details.
ASA Optis for sale 2:00 PM March 16, 20132013-02-21
Optis from our Mobile Sailing School are on sale until March 15th, 2013. For deliverl now or in the spring.Ready to sail, includes foil bag, mast bag, bow bumper, bailer, praddle, mast lock, painter.
$2,100 includes GST
contact peter at 403-617-9092
Club Fund Raising2013-02-02
ASA is now accepting volunteers at for the Calgary Casino May 29 & 30. Volunteers can expect to earn $550 - $650 per shift towards their club youth development programs. ASA can cover part of hotel and mileage for people travelling over 100 Km.